BRI's Module 8: Being Intentional with Read Alouds: Teaching Print Awareness and Oral Language and the Other Components
Designed for K-3 educators, this collection of modules addresses the following objectives:
- Foster a deep understanding of each of the five components of reading recognized by the National Reading Panel and how they form a comprehensive and integrated approach to reading instruction.
teachers with practical tools and resources that are aligned to the
science of literacy acquisition and readily accessed and applied in the
- Demonstrate the use of assessments and their results to guide instruction for each of the five components of reading plus the three additional skills (oral language, print awareness, and written expression) that support literacy proficiency.
- Facilitate adult learning through strategies that allow teachers to access information previously learned and to apply new knowledge and resources to strengthen practice.
In Module 8, participants will:
- Design a Read Aloud lesson with intentional strategies to teach print awareness, oral language, and the other components of reading.
- Understand the various parts of print concepts and how they impact understanding of the text and it’s meaning.
- Apply information to help students use the think about the print to gain meaning and understanding of how language works.
- Explicitly teach language through explicit vocabulary instruction.
- Use conversation to strengthen listening comprehension as well as model good reading habits.
|Tue, Mar 20, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 PM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 PM||Full Day||Greer Proctor-Dickson||Don Brantley||Mississippi State University - Meridian - Kahlmus Auditorium|
|Wed, Mar 21, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 AM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 AM||Full Day||Greer Proctor-Dickson||Don Brantley||Mississippi State University - Meridian - Kahlmus Auditorium|
|Disabilities||If you have a disability that would need an accommodation (wheelchair, visual impairment, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|
|Food Allergies||If you have a food allergy or preference (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|