BRI's Module 4: Structured Literacy: Phonics
Designed for K-3 educators, this collection of modules addresses the following objectives:
- Foster a deep understanding of each of the five components of reading recognized by the National Reading Panel and how they form a comprehensive and integrated approach to reading instruction.
teachers with practical tools and resources that are aligned to the
science of literacy acquisition and readily accessed and applied in the
- Demonstrate the use of assessments and their results to guide instruction for each of the five components of reading plus the three additional skills (oral language, print awareness, and written expression) that support literacy proficiency.
- Facilitate adult learning through strategies that allow teachers to access information previously learned and to apply new knowledge and resources to strengthen practice.
In Module 4, Participants will:
- Explain what research says about how phonics is processed in the brain and how it should be taught.
- Know and understand the importance of the elements of an explicit phonics instruction.
- Understand why syllable awareness is necessary when teaching advanced phonics skills and how to teach it.
- Accurately order the sequence of the beginning and advanced phonics continuum.
- Explain and practice teaching strategies for each of the generalizations of the beginning and advanced phonics continuum.
- Score a diagnostic decoding assessment and identify the lowest deficit skill.
- Create a lesson plan that demonstrates explicit phonics instruction.
- Apply the 5 instructional practices for teaching literacy to phonics.
|Tue, Nov 28, 2017||8:30 AM - 4:00 PM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 PM||Full Day||Greer Proctor-Dickson||Don Brantley||Barksdale Reading Institute - Jackson|
|Wed, Nov 29, 2017||8:30 AM - 4:00 AM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 AM||Full Day||Greer Proctor-Dickson||Don Brantley||Barksdale Reading Institute - Jackson|
|Disabilities||If you have a disability that would need an accommodation (wheelchair, visual impairment, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|
|Food Allergies||If you have a food allergy or preference (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|